Know the Signs of Addiction
5 ways to tell if your loved one has an addiction
Trust your gut – When observing a spouse, relative, or friend, look for these telltale signs of addiction:
- Loss of control – ingesting more than a person wants to, for a period longer than intended
- Risk taking – more likely to take serious risks in order to gain drug of choice
- Relationship issues – People struggling with addiction are known to act out against those closest to them
- Tolerance – over time a person’s body adapts to a substance to the point that they require more to obtain the same effect
- Continued use despite negative consequences – A person will continue to use regardless of consequences.
And what to do about it
- Watch for withdrawal symptoms – People with addiction sometimes try to stop on their own, if this occurs, you will see signs of withdrawal. Some people require medical monitoring to prevent additional complications.
- Stay detached, but with love – Remember this when dealing with your loved one’s addiction – you didn’t cause it, you can’t control it, and you can’t cure it. You can support your loved one, but any behavioral change must come from the person with the addiction.
- Don’t Judge – Addiction is a disease. It’s just as threatening as cancer or diabetes if left untreated.
- Begin the conversation, but keep your expectations low – It’s hard to know what to do or say. However, remember you may literally be saving a life just by starting the conversation.
- Get professional help – Iris healing retreat and other addiction centers have professional staff who can conduct individual screening to determine whether someone has an addiction. A professional assessment is the best way to clinically assess the problem, establish the facts, and determine what treatment will help lead to recovery.
We work with most major insurance providers. The fastest way to verify your insurance is by giving us a quick call.
All our conversations with potential clients are held strictly confidential for your privacy and comfort. We do not sell any client information to outside parties.
“Iris Healing was one of the best things that has ever happened to me. I have been to 5 other treatment centers and it just did not stick. Iris properly diagnosed me, got me on the right medication, and gave me the tools and encouragement to stay sober. They have helped me in every aspect of my life and I am extremely grateful! I can now get back to my regular life without the fear of addiction! Thank you!!”
- Michelle B.
Words simply can't fully express my gratitude and thanks for the Iris team. The CEO and Clinical Director have built an amazing program that not only addresses the substance dependency; but in addition, treats and heals the entire person...physically, emotionally, and spiritually. In many ways, I feel like they have set me on a journey to learn who I really am and given me my life back...which is a gift I will always treasure. The intimate size of the facility was crucial to my experience. I never felt overlooked, and there was always a staff member available to me if I needed assistance, a listening ear, or encouragement during my time there. The therapists and staff provided comfort, kindness, and support...and made me feel as though I was in a safe environment where I could fully focus on my healing. I'm so thankful I began my recovery journey at Iris, and I will be eternally grateful for this incredible program and team. -- William H.